Let's Do This!

I can honestly say that no one has ever called me "normal"! That is just fine with me! God placed a lot of personalities within my tiny mind and it is a journey to say the least. I have even 'named them'! (Don't send in the troops just yet) As I have grown in my walk with Christ, I have learned to make sure that HE is always heading up this little party in my mind! Now that you know I am a little crazy - Let's get to it! Let's explore The Word and The Truth. Let's walk where Jesus walked. Let's be ready for God to change us! Let's get out of our comfort zones! Don't limit God's work in you. Don't try to be a Christ Follower in a box. I tried that - it didn't work. Embrace who God created you to be! I am a child of God! I am a follower of Christ! I am not, and never will be, perfect! I am not normal and don't want to be! I am loved! I AM HIS!

Friday, March 1, 2013

WHAT Are You Leaving Your Children?

OK, we all know that you had to walk 10 miles, up hill, both ways, in 3 feet of snow to get to school - even in the summer! And...we all know that you did not DARE question your parents cause if you did...WHAM! Believe me - we also know that no matter how tired you were, you had to get up at the crack of dawn and help around the house! WE GET IT!
How many of you had this attitude when you were growing up? I did! I dreaded talking to my parents about how hard life was! It always ended up with me feeling sorry for them and not only doing what I didn't want to do in the first place, but actually agreeing to do MORE! (My parents were gooood)
When I was younger, I would think that they done things just so they could show their authority. I always thought they made us do ridiculous things so that they would have something to laugh about later as they were going to sleep. Come on, you all know exactly what I am talking about!
And I am willing to be that you all can agree with me when I say, "Man! Was I a mean kid to my parents!" Maybe not in those exact words, but looking back, you can definately see that your parents, for the most part, weren't all that bad. I can definately see how they were always looking out for my best interest.
I bring this thought up cause I am now  a parent and I find myself second guessing my techniques. I don't want to mess anything up. I want to be able to always have the right advice to give them. I want them to learn all the good stuff from me, not the bad. I want to teach them all they need to know to survive in this crazy messed up world. I, myself, feel the need to be perfect so they don't feel like they are not in good hands. All of this, every day goes through my mind - and usually all night long keeping me awake. I fear the idea of my daughters growing up without me. Even typing it now, I am getting chills. But the fact is, it could happen and there is nothing I could do to stop it!
The one most important thing I am teaching my daughters is that their Lord and Savior THE ONE they should lean on FIRST in times of trouble and heartache. When trials come their way, turn to God FIRST! Read your Bibles - search the Truth! Don't panic and know that He has it all under control! That is first and far most that I am teaching them because I feel if they have this planted in their hearts, then the rest will fall into place.
However, there are a few little lessons in life that I teach them as well.
Respect is a big one in our home! Respect yourself first, then others. If you can not look yourself in the mirror and see Jesus standing next to you smiling, then you are doing something wrong. Live each day making someone else happy and making Jesus proud. Don't ever put your own beliefs and feelings aside. Stand firm in what you know to be truth.
Love and support your family! This is also very important to teach them because their family will be there for them to lean on and get that support from. My family has always had my back and I couldn't be prouder to be a part of them or have them a part of me. I teach my girls to hang together and be there for each other.
There are other lessons in life I teach them as well, I won't get into them all cause I couldn't possibly - there are new ones every day. Like ones that deal with gossiping, lieing, bullying, burning dinner, spraying Clorox Bleach instead of air freshner, closing the door when in restroom incase someone comes over, not trusting your mom when she smiles crookedly and says, "trust me"; you know, every day stuff.
My dad always told me that you should learn something new every day in order to consider it a productive day. I believe that! He also said that every day was the first day of the rest of your life, I believe that too! (see, I listened)
Being a parent myself, I have come to realize that every day I will make my daughters proud and every day I will make them angry. Every day I will make a mistake too. This is a tough one for me. I am learning; I will always be learning. But if I can teach them the basics, then the rest will work itself out. One of the hardest things to do as a parent, for me, is to stand back and watch them make a mistake and get hurt. I believe that I must allow my daughters to make a mistake sometimes in order to learn a lesson. That is difficult because I don't want my daughters to ever be hurt!
So, if God feels the need to take me home before my daughters are grown; I am praying every day this is NOT the case; then I leave them with knowning that God comes first and always should, Read your Bibles daily, Stand firm in your beliefs, Lean on and support each other, Love your family and yourself, Respect yourself and others, and make sure you CLOSE THE DOOR!
My daughters are my world here on Earth! I now know that I too was the world to my parents! Thank you Mommy and Daddy for loving me, teaching me, caring for me, suporting me, and yes...even spanking me!

No comments: